The holidays mean time with family, celebrations with friends and lots of food. While you might have an appetite for all types of holiday meals, your pup probably does too. Though many pet parents tend to pass on small treats and leftovers from holiday feasts, there are a few food scraps that you should never give your dog. These scraps might be toxic, deadly or cause messy stomach irritation.
Here are the top 6 food scraps you don’t want your dog eating this holiday season.
- Bones. Cooked bones splinter in dogs’ digestive systems, leading to torn intestines and stomachs. And smaller bones, even uncooked, will have a tough time passing through your dog’s stomach. So avoid giving scrap bones to your pup! Instead, consider buying a pet-grade bone from your vet or local pet store.
- Bread. Dough and bread containing yeast will react in a dog’s stomach, causing the product to rise and creating a lot of discomfort for your pup. So avoid giving them bread, rolls and other yeasty foods.
- Chocolate. Chocolate contains caffeine, which is toxic to dogs. So never give your dog chocolates, chocolate cake or other chocolate foods. You should also avoid giving them food scraps containing coffee or coffee beans.
- High-fat foods. Fatty foods include things like chicken and turkey skin, along with gravy. These fats are bad for your dog’s health and can cause an upset stomach. While not toxic to dogs, they may experience diarrhea from these scraps.
- Milk products. Dogs are lactose intolerant, meaning any cheese, milk or other dairy product can cause vomiting and diarrhea.
- Raisins and grapes. Grapes and raisins can poison dogs, even causing kidney
Symptoms to Watch Out for in Your Dog
Even if you aren’t feeding your dog these scraps, there’s a chance they might get ahold of some anyway. There are signs if your dog snatched a food item they shouldn’t have or if a little one handed them a treat without you noticing. A pup who ate something they shouldn’t have might:
- Experience gastrointestinal issues, like vomiting or diarrhea.
- Seem lethargic or excessively tired.
- Shake or pant excessively.
- Not eat anything else, including their dinner or favorite treats.
If your dog vomits once or twice, something they ate may not agree with their stomach. That doesn’t necessarily mean they’re in any danger. For example, milk and meats may cause this stomach irritation, which typically isn’t deadly. However, if any of these symptoms persist or worsen, you should consult your vet immediately. They will want to know what foods you served that your pup might have gotten a hold of.
The Landheim K9 team is here to help you keep your pup safe this holiday season. So avoid these scraps, crate your dog during meals and give them plenty of quality time during the hustle and bustle of the holidays.